Monday, April 27, 2009

Catholic Courage - Mary Ann Glendon's Letter to Notre Dame

You may have already seen this on Newsweek or Zenit, but here is the full text of Mary Ann Glendon's letter, sent just a day or so ago, to the president of Notre Dame, Father John Jenkins. She has declined the university's offer to give her the Laetare Medal at this year's commencement. She is the Learned Hand Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and former U.S. ambassador to the Holy See. A prominent Catholic and one of the few who seems to actually live what she professes.
* * * Dear Father Jenkins, When you informed me in December 2008 that I had been selected to receive Notre Dame's Laetare Medal, I was profoundly moved. I treasure the memory of receiving an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1996, and I have always felt honored that the commencement speech I gave that year was included in the anthology of Notre Dame's most memorable commencement speeches. So I immediately began working on an acceptance speech that I hoped would be worthy of the occasion, of the honor of the medal, and of your students and faculty. Last month, when you called to tell me that the commencement speech was to be given by President Obama, I mentioned to you that I would have to rewrite my speech. Over the ensuing weeks, the task that once seemed so delightful has been complicated by a number of factors. First, as a longtime consultant to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, I could not help but be dismayed by the news that Notre Dame also planned to award the president an honorary degree. This, as you must know, was in disregard of the U.S. bishops' express request of 2004 that Catholic institutions "should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles" and that such persons "should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions." That request, which in no way seeks to control or interfere with an institution's freedom to invite and engage in serious debate with whomever it wishes, seems to me so reasonable that I am at a loss to understand why a Catholic university should disrespect it. Then I learned that "talking points" issued by Notre Dame in response to widespread criticism of its decision included two statements implying that my acceptance speech would somehow balance the event: • "President Obama won't be doing all the talking. Mary Ann Glendon, the former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, will be speaking as the recipient of the Laetare Medal." • "We think having the president come to Notre Dame, see our graduates, meet our leaders, and hear a talk from Mary Ann Glendon is a good thing for the president and for the causes we care about." A commencement, however, is supposed to be a joyous day for the graduates and their families. It is not the right place, nor is a brief acceptance speech the right vehicle, for engagement with the very serious problems raised by Notre Dame's decision -- in disregard of the settled position of the U.S. bishops -- to honor a prominent and uncompromising opponent of the Church's position on issues involving fundamental principles of justice. Finally, with recent news reports that other Catholic schools are similarly choosing to disregard the bishops' guidelines, I am concerned that Notre Dame's example could have an unfortunate ripple effect. It is with great sadness, therefore, that I have concluded that I cannot accept the Laetare Medal or participate in the May 17 graduation ceremony. In order to avoid the inevitable speculation about the reasons for my decision, I will release this letter to the press, but I do not plan to make any further comment on the matter at this time. Yours Very Truly,
Mary Ann Glendon

7 comments:

Uncle Billy said...

With the name Mary...would you expect less? Can you hear the high note just reached in the Heavenly chorus? You go girl!!

Deborah said...

Oh Dear.....

I feel sad when I read stuff like that.

Howcome Jesus could hang out with prostitutes and the likes and yet his followers feel that they are above those who do not have the same opinions that they do?

The Heart of Things said...

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for the comment. I hear where you're coming from, but to your point about Catholics/Christians being "above those who do not have the same opinions that they do" I believe the word opinion is misplaced. Please hear me out on this one, as it strikes deep into our personal story.

Mary Ann Glendon is stepping away from this commencement because a Catholic University (Notre Dame) is honoring a man who has completely spat in the face of what we hold most sacred - human life.

As to some of the recent presidential maneuvers, we see these as more than opinion - it's life.... or death. Abortion on demand, the destruction and harvesting of the stem cells of unborn human life, dispensing with the conscience clause to force health care workers to participate in abortions...

These are more than opinions on alternate fuel sources, or how one thinks certain policies in government should be crafted. It's very clear.

Yes, Jesus hung out with sinners, the Gospels tell us, but not to condone their sin. "I'm OK, you're OK." He tried to get them out of sin. To the woman caught in adultery he said "Go and sin no more." Simon the Pharisee he challenged and chastised, to the ones who caused scandal in God's house by buying and selling he drove them out with a whip! Now that's tough love.

The point of all this is not that we are closing off dialogue. We certainly want that. The point of contention is that a Catholic University is honoring a Pro-Death Politician. This is akin to Joseph and Mary attending a banquet to honor Herod the Great for his great achievements in bringing peace to Bethlehem, even as the mourning of mothers whose innocents he just slaughtered rises up from the streets. Honoring Herod is the last thing they'd be a part of, but praying for Herod is the first thing they'd do. So we hope Mary Ann Glendon's stepping away can wake up at least one person to the reality of the situation.

Thanks for your patience in reading this HUGE response!

Peace,
Bill

Deborah said...

Hi Bill,

I hear what you are saying but dare I say that you are being narrow and single minded.
I have been on the other side - and I know the pain and suffering your condemnation brings.

I had an abortion - and I know it was absolutely the right thing for me at that time in my life.
If I am wrong about that then I... and only I... will have to answer before God for that.

I am NOT advocating that abortion be used as a method of birth control!
No....
But God has placed in each of us the inherent knowledge of what is wrong and what is right for us. What is right for me may not be right for you - and we know that instinctively.

I for example think that the insistence of you and your wife to become parents by whatever means are available to you is "unatural"
But I will never jump on a bangwagon and condenm the practice because I know that you have probably received guidance from God on the matter
and that your struggles define and strengthen the person you are meant to be to this world.

I think it is much more noble to step back and guide by example that to stand on a soap box and condem others for the choices they make.

You have to be able to see the bigger picture and trust that God is in each person He has created.

The laws put in place by governments often do more good than harm. Millions of people pray for leaders all over the world - and for the large part God is in control and knows why he allows certain things to happen - who are you and Mary to decide otherwise?
Oh ye of little faith comes to mind.

In the bigger picture of it all shows that abortions that are controled by law - does more good than harm.
As for stem cell research - how is that different from all other medical advancements including the methods you and your wife use?

We only have the right to judge our own actions.
We do no have the right to decide what is murder in respect to medical and scientific advancements - God is in control of that and we cannot decide we are ok with some advancements and not others just because it does not sit well with our indocronations...

We need to be open to God's bigger picture Bill.

Blessings.

Deb

Oh and please excuse the spelling and grammar. English is kind of my second language.

Rebecca said...

Hello Deborah,
I have read both of your comments and now feel nothing short of compelled to answer you. I am Bill's wife and the mother of our precious son as well as our beloved Grace Elizabeth and her 12 siblings with her in God's embrace. I first want to acknowledge that neither Bill nor I can ever begin to imagine your experiences as a mother who chose abortion and the resulting emotions that surely exist in you today and are somewhere in the reason you are following Mary Ann Glendon's recent decision and this very blog. Secondly, I want to say that our decision to offer life to Grace and her 12 siblings comes from nothing short of the most NATURAL desires God has given us both to parent and defend the lives of His most vulnerable. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the day Grace came to rest and dance inside me for 8 months, and I can not sit by as that is deemed "unnatural". Your comment that Bill and I have the "insistence to become parents by whatever means are available to us" is gravely inaccurate and truly a mockery of our 5 years of infertility and longing. We will venture only where LIFE already exists, where waiting children cry to us for love. We do not as yet know to whom of those waiting God will lead us next. If there is one thing the life of Christ teaches us about Him, it is that He lived with CONVICTION in His undying LOVE! He challenged by His love and called those around Him to be lifted up by the choice to follow Him. He never watered down His passion for TRUTH, and that is surely what was simultaneously attractive and intimidating to those who heard Him and had to decide whether to embrace or silence Him. His MERCY is unceasing, and is offered to each of us daily, but He surely desires for us to choose LIFE, as He has set it before us. His TRUTH is the only truth, and is not an "option" but a lifeforce driving the good in all of us. We have the free will to choose His truth or death. Our choices are not all good simply because we are free to choose them.
I pray for His Mercy to consume you, His beloved. He is crazy about you and I pray you know it.
Remembering our dear Grace and Co,
Rebecca

Deborah said...

Hi Rebecca,

I know God loves me! My life and what I have survived is testiment to that.

If you care to know more before presuming that I do not know the Mercy of God then just click on my name and you will be taken to my web page.

I have been reading Bills blog for a long time now and have commented before. I have no particular gripe with Mary and her decision But I do feel that people... far too many people in this world are way to quick to judge when they have now experience of what other people are experiencing.

Point in case - my "judgement" - and I use that word loosely because it was NOT my intention - I just needed to illustrate a point.

I have no idea what you and your struggle is all about... but as soon as we... any of us... venture an opinion because we assume that we know what God wants for that person we tread on toes... hurt feelings and cause heartache.

We are individuals - and God has created us in His likeness and He treats us as such - but somehow people feel they know what God has planned for other people.

If on the other hand we keep our mouths shut, live our best life and trust that God is in control we avoid heartache hurt and ultimately sin....

I have no right to judge you and your actions. Just as you have no right to judge that I need Gods Mercy more than you do because you have this deep inner longing to give birth to life.

Giving birth to life has never been on the cards for me as far as God was concernd.
If it were he would have lead me to people who could show me the way after all those agonizing hours, days and nights I spent in His presence not to mention the hours I spent in the confessional.

If God wanted me to have that child why did He not give that priest the sense of wisdom and knowledge to send me somewhere where I could be helped?

Instead, I ended up in a Government hospital where my life was saved and my sanity preserved because I tried to commit suicide because the Church rejected me because I had sinned.

And that was not the first time I was failed by the Church - after enduring years of sexual abuse I also told all in the confesional.
Only to have to watch the priest and my abuser slap each other on the back after mass.

After all that I still regard myself as Catholic and I still receive the Holy Eucharist even though the likes of Mary will probably pull up an army of radical judgemental Catholics against me. Did I mention I have been in a same sex relationship for the past 21 years?

But I know the truth Rebecca - God loves me. God has bestowed Mercy and Grace upon me in abundance...
And because I have experienced so much heartache, hurt and abuse in life... I know better than anybody that it is NOT my place to judge.
Neither is it yours ... or Bills... or Mary's... because we cannot know the whole truth. Only God does.

God Bless

Deborah.

Rebecca said...

Hi Deborah,
Your journey has surely been marked by much pain that I have not known personally but only in the experiences of 2 women and 1 man very dear to me. I take hope in the fact that God sees all, even that done in darkness, and will bring it to His light. The hands and feet of His Church, for example, have been shown to be imperfect like the rest of us. Those who have so deeply wronged His children in the name of the Church, He will surely judge. When asked what my favorite word is, I always respond "Mercy"! Yes, I like the sound of it, but it is truly the meaning of the word that lifts my spirit! I ask God's mercy daily for myself as much as for all those I love and care for deeply. You may already know and like her, but I want to share my favorite singer with you. Her name is Nicole Nordeman, and her lyrics are as powerful and real as her voice is beautiful. One of my favorite songs is "Mercies New". Where would ANY of us be without His mercy!
All His gracious blessings,
Rebecca

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...