Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Who's Your Daddy?

Our son loves to laugh and smile, but just when we think it's our funny faces or noises that are the cause of it, we're given cause to think again. He's like the ent named Quickbeam from The Lord of the Rings; it's simple things that stir up joy in him; the pattern on a couch cushion, a light fixture, a sneeze, a toot (of course, those are funny even if you're 90). These are the things that make him laugh and smile. The reality is, he has no clue who we are.... at least not yet. Unknown hands pick him up to carry him. Food comes right to his tiny mouth just when he needs it. He can barely see things that are just a few feet away from him. He's wrapped, rocked, cleaned, comforted, and cuddled by a love unknown to him. I was thinking the other day as I was feeding the wee lad, it's the same thing with us and God. So often, we have no clue just how close this Heavenly Father is to us.... just when and where He is comforting, cuddling, cleaning and caring for us. Even when, in our tears and cries, He seems absent, He's just a few feet away, and only our undeveloped vision keeps us from seeing Him. This fatherhood thing is doing wonders for the prayer life. I can see in our love and care for this beautiful baby boy and for his unborn sister Grace, a tiny glimmer of the love of God for us. I wonder if that too was part of His plan?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got it! In a world where my-space has become so myopic.I-pod is periodically replaced with I-God.Our Heavenly Father drops a wee helpless baby into your life and gives you a peek at things from His perspective. Sort of gives you a better idea of the insane love of our God;that He would come to us just like that;a helpless little man in a manger. p.s. those unexplained smiles and nods,and happy noises....perhaps small innocent infants can see their guardian angels, and converse with them.Something to think about. Pax tecum DA

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your sharing about your son. I have an infant son as well (and he has a 2 year old big sister), and time spent with an infant is precious time indeed.

The Heart of Things said...

It's all a gift isn't it? And I do believe that the young perhaps see their angels. Here's a bit from Shelley that I've always loved:

"Know you what it is to be a child? It is to be something very different from the man of today. It is to have a spirit yet streaming from the waters of baptism; it is to believe in love, to believe in loveliness, to believe in belief; it is to be so little that the elves can reach to whisper in your ear..."

Anonymous said...

It is said that over time,our hearing faculty filters out most of the background noise;the small sounds,leaves disturbed on the forest floor,twigs bent under foot;sounds we needed to hear when we were still possible prey,unprotected by fences and walls.Infants are too new,too still early here to have filtered much if anything.I often wonder if they still hear THE MUSIC,that faint whisper remaining of the symphony that was breathed upon the page of time,of which we are all notes. Pax tecum Da

The Heart of Things said...

beautiful Da... I think you better get back to blogging yourself with sweet insights like that!

Juniper, a bean farmer said...

I second that sentiment.

Uncle Billy, your Wee Humble Cottage needs a new post!

I asked my two year old son recently if he knows his Gaurdian Angel's name. He confidently said "Bob!". I guess he introduced himself. Odd name for an angel though I think.

The Heart of Things said...

Bob! That's classic. Dr. Peter Kreeft says his Angel's name is Frodo.

Anonymous said...

Bill,

I have been behind in following your blog. Congratulations on your baby boy. What an incredible gift you are to him and he is to you! And also know that I am praying so very much, especially to the intercession of JPII, for little Grace! Oh Bill..... we'll have to talk soon. You guys are trully a witness of hope and faith. My love to you and Rebecca! Love, Nadia

The Heart of Things said...

Nadia! Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Great to hear from you! Yes, he has been an amazing gift to us. I hope we talk soon, and enjoy your first Christmas with your hubby! (hope I'm right on that one.... time flies!)

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'd recognize the craftsmanship of that sweater anywhere!
Merry Christmas Billy, Rebecca, Grace and Seth. Hope to be seeing you on the 28th.
Love,
Mary Breen

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...