Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Just a Moment

So we've had a wee bairn in the house for sometime now. That's Scottish for "little one." And after five years, cries fill the house, and we are singing 80's songs put to new words, like "We've been waiting... for a boy like you... to come into our lives... yeah waiting, for a boy like you, to make us feel alive..." And then we tag team bottle time, and snuggle time, and we gaze into the little pools of this other little person's eyes.... and we see they are "impregnated with distance" in the words of C.S. Lewis; his eyes are full of light and of a future full of walks in deep woods and sword fights and drawing maps of Grandpa's land in Maine, of leaping from cliffs into cold water, and singing the Clancy Brothers songs, and a host of other adventures. Sure, the weight of glory that's been set upon our hearts with him is beyond measure. What greater thing is there in the world than to be given stewardship over one of His little ones? We have fallen head over heels in love with this squishy wee babe. Thank You God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you father revealed the name! :-)

Blessings to your entire family and thank you for sharing your joy with all of us.

The Heart of Things said...

thanks... he did reveal the name! Here's an edited version from dad...

"Drawing maps! Well I suppose I'll have to hold onto the place for a wee while. I can't find the words to express my joy. I look forward to holding your wee one soon. What a Christmas it will be!! My prayers and love to you, Rebecca, Grace, and ______.

Da"

Anonymous said...

this is lovely news. God bless!

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...