Sunday, July 13, 2008

Alligators and Boars and Jesus, Oh My!!

Today wraps up the first annual "Be Not Afraid" Youth Conference Retreat at Ave Maria University near Naples, Florida; strategically held at a place where there is, in fact, much to fear.

The following list of deadly beasts is authentic and has not been doctored up or exaggerated in any way (and was revealed to me by "Christie," who gave me this list AFTER she picked me up at the Fort Myers Airport... ha ha ha)

- panthers
- black bear
- wild boar (I met a guy named Anthony who has bagged 14 of them with
a bow and arrow. I am NOT making any of this up)
- alligators (exhibit A, pictured above; sadly his ferocity may seem
dwarfed by my finger. I found him this morning, floating just outside
the main hall where the retreat was held. Awesome)
- five species of poisonous snakes (and of course, lots of non-
poisonous cousins)
- black widow spiders (helloooooooo)
- mosquitoes that could carry small packages on their backs.

"Be not afraid."

Indeed.

Ave Maria University just moved into town a couple years ago, in fact, the town is being built "around" the University. It's brand new. So as Christie says, "Nature has not quite gotten the concept yet of "people." It got me thinking though, as I pedalled into town this morning on a
borrowed bike, past palm trees, floating gators, and prehistoric birds drying their huge wings atop street lights (while whistling the theme from Jurassic Park) - I think the scariest presence of all for some of these teenagers is God Himself.

Who is He really?
What does He want from me?
Does He know me, all of me, my heart's deepest secrets and desires?
Do I even know myself?

It's scary terrain, this interior landscape of the human heart, no doubt. But to live an authentic human life, we must step out, wade into the water, take that uncharted path.

Leaving today, with the final farewells and the testimonies of the young, I knew many had discovered some peace. A fellowship too, so desperately needed. And best of all the truth that God is not scary; life without Him is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alligators, panthers, and weasel developers,like Tom Monaghan you mean.

Duh! Of course Ave Malaria is filled with wildlife, it was built ON TOP OF the pantherlands, home to one of the most endangered mammals on the planet.

The native species are not visitors to your world, at Ave Malaria you are intruding on theirs.

Educate yourself by learning about the FL panthers. They do best at about 3 per 100 miles of habitat.

The NW corner of the intersection of I75 and State Route 29, just south of Oil Well Road is the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge. Monaghan essentially built right on top the pantherlands.

All the 'oh hey look out for wildlife' signs or 'see lookit, we'e being all environmental (you suckers!) signs don't begin to make up for what each and every person buying in to Ave Malaria do, ensure that all that neat-o wildlife you enjoy won't be there for generations to come.

Just because (developer)Barron Collier, Monaghan and his buddy Jeb Bush overrode FL environmental regulations, and gutted the Endangered Species Act to stick condos, campus, and clergy off the edge of the everglades that doesn't mean it's ethical in the least.

But then, I guess a Del Webb golf course is far more important than the vanishing species of the earth.

Nope developers see FL's last wild areas as a 'blank slate' they think they can build all over, and then erect signs pointing out how 'quaint, but potentially dangerous so keep your distance' the state's remaining species are.

If they truly cared about the future of FL's last remaining wildlands, they wouldn't be so quick to pave over them, or plant non-native and at times invasive species all over them, or reconfigure the wildlands water systems.

Or for that matter, manufacture golf courses in the pantherlands.

But who can blame 'em? After all we all DESPERATELY need ONE MORE golf course- right?

A one of a kind panther means nothing when compared to a hole in one.

The Heart of Things said...

Dear Puma,

Thanks for your passion. I do share your concern regarding the environment. Walking around campus and the adjacent town did stir up thoughts about good stewardship and our call to work with nature (when possible) and not against it. The speed with which this town sprung up is mind-boggling, and it will take some time for all species to adjust themselves to each other. When it comes to rare species, like the panther (and thanks for the link on that) the builders do seem like bullies, but what is the right attitude of man to his environment? What should the relationship look like?

A few thoughts:

1. My post was tongue in cheek, obviously. I LOVE the wild, and would rather not see a golf course in the midst of it. At this point however, there is a beautiful university that is leading souls in the pursuit of Truth, Beauty and Goodness, and they are surrounded by Beauty. This may well lead to the good stewardship you want to see.

2. A personal request; referring to a place dedicated to the Virgin Mary as "Ave Malaria" is over the top for me. Though I get your point, please respect her name and this institution, aside from what you believe may be its poor placement.

3. I think there is always a balance that needs to be set between the "dominion" we've been given over the earth and "domination" which is when Original Sin rears its ugly head. Adam's task was to care for and cultivate the Garden of Eden; the earth and its creatures. I share your concern when that task turns into a blind stripping away or squelching of resources and wildlife haphazardly. Some behind the construction of Ave Maria U. certainly seem to have broken that balance, but where there is man there are mistakes. My brother worked in Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary for a time tending this Garden of Southern Florida and I had the chance to visit him there years ago. It’s a pure gift, this rich mosaic of life, and I hope we can all begin to carefully discern where we should fit our pieces in.

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...