Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This is Just Silly

I know I haven't given a real meaty post of late. Well, the Pope was in town, and there was grading, and teaching, and life, and stuff. Lots of stuff actually. So much so that right now at Malvern, while I could be more "productive" with my free period, I decided to squander it. I loafed over to the cafe for some coffee (free for teachers ALL DAY!), then I sauntered over to chapel to sit in the Presence for awhile (which was like a Calgon moment for my soul. Anybody get that allusion?) then I strode past the cherry trees in the front of campus. Then it was all over. He slayeth me once again.

Being the techno-nerd that I am, I took a picture with the sweet iPhone. Now look at this ridiculous amount of beauty; a carpet of violet petals explodes into the slender stalks of daffodils rising up like sentinels from the dark, fertile earth, keeping their vigil before the doors of a chapel where the King of Kings has made His dwelling in the Blessed Eucharist. And I, leaning and loafing at my ease, observed that all this is for our refreshment. It's just silly. It's crazy love. I'm convinced this superfluous Love is what made the worlds and set the galaxies spinning in this Great Dance. Ah Spring! Let's drink it in, for everything is for our good.

5 comments:

Frances said...

"Take me away!" I'm right there with you in that sentiment, Bill. And today happens to be Wednesday, so I get to have some Jesus time this afternoon.

Delicious beauty in those flowers (and the hostas - I just love hostas!). Thanks for sharing.

I read a snippet from the Pope's address to youth and this part made me think of you:

"Let your imaginations soar freely along the limitless expanse of the horizons of Christian discipleship. Sometimes we are looked upon as people who speak only of prohibitions. Nothing could be further from the truth! Authentic Christian discipleship is marked by a sense of wonder. We stand before the God we know and love as a friend, the vastness of his creation, and the beauty of our Christian faith."

Now I need to read the whole thing!

The Heart of Things said...

Hi Frances, hope all's well. It's crazy you got zapped by that quote too; thanks for thinking of me! I LOVED it and used it for this week's Mission Moment! I need some time to read all of his words, so rich and meaningful for us. God bless you and Dave.

Anonymous said...

Bill, you are correct about Malvern. I sometimes feel that coming to work is a daily pilgramage.
I walk around campus and see how creative God can be. I step into our humble chapel and look at our Mother holding her Son and feel the comfort of God's love. I talk to the kids, and encounter God's greatest gift.

Frances - Pope Benedict has a way with words. Wonder, friendship,vastness, beauty- what a way to describe our discipleship to the living God! What an inspiration, thanks for posting that quote.

duskangel said...

Oh, You had a calgon moment. Groovy! I love those! It's a little like taking the Nestea plunge on a really hot day isn't it? I thought I was the only one who still said Calgon jokes.

Anonymous said...

The Nestea Plunge! Nice throwback!

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...