Monday, April 28, 2008

I Wonder....

I've decided to reinstate, in an official way, in my classroom tomorrow, the weekly practice hitherto known as "Trivia Tuesday."

This was something I used in my first year at Malvern, and it worked well. I think it's high time it came back. Why?

Well, aside from the fact that it uses alliteration (which I've decided makes everything "fun"... Masterpiece Monday, Faith-Sharing Friday. The boys always try for Wacky Wednesday, a day dedicated to Homestarrunner, but I just can't make the theology stretch that far, darn it)... Aside from that, it gives their young minds a chance to percolate, let the truths of the Bible, or the Face of Jesus they are coming to see more clearly in the gospels, start to shine. The mind can only take so much "information" - it needs space for the more important "formation" of character. The stuff has to trickle down you
see, from the head to the heart. There must be time for some mental gymnastics where they can toss and flip these concepts around on the rubber mat of their minds to see if they are tough enough, durable enough, as strong as they believe they are right now.

So "Trivia Tuesday" is a chance to pop an anonymous question on anything theological, from angels to anger, demons to Desperate Housewives, into the Basket o' Queries. Then we take 10 minutes at the end of Tuesday's class to try and get some answers.

Wouldn't it be cool if parishes did this? And you could come early to Mass and have a little Q & A with the padres? Some parishes, I've heard, have an "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Catholicism But Were Afraid to Ask" night. Brilliant. And here let me give another
shout out to Fr. Roderick at the "Daily Breakfast" podcast on sqpn.com. His "Peculiar Bunch" segment does just that, and it's brought alot of clarity to alot of people.

This idea struck me today, by the way, because I felt like I shut a kid down in the interest of "time" (whatever THAT is). In the hastiness of the moment, I was getting through a lesson instead of getting through the lesson, if you know what I mean.

I think giving teenagers the chance to be heard and have their questions addressed head on is better than just cramming stuff into their heads with the hope that it's available later when they need it. So let the Trivia begin! And of course, it'll be anything but trivial. I'll keep you posted!

9 comments:

Frances said...

Awesome idea, Bill! We established a "Question Box" at youth group last year and the kids filled it up with wonderings great and small. Then the parent leaders decided that answering the questions wasn't as important as making sure the kids had ample time to play and "socialize" - one of many reasons we left that program.

Anyway, I LOVE trivia and Q & A time in faith groups. I think I might mention the possibility of having an "Ask Anything" night at our parish to our pastor.

The Heart of Things said...

NICE Frances. I agree, what a great way to grow in knowledge of the Faith! It's bewildering to me why we want to shut that down when the kids are asking the questions. I think I need to post some Catholic Trivia polls or something on the 'ole blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill-
Can I send our 12 year old son to you for a couple of weeks? Trey has been gone 11 months now and we still have about two to go, and I think he needs a little charater training/male bonding!
He is going to go to a Challenge Catholic boys camp for a week in June with the Legionary Fathers and brothers and he is very much looking forward to that.
He is a great kid, but after a almost a year without Dad we are starting to really get on each others nerves!
I think your idea for Q and A is brilliant! I am going to suggest it to Fr. David and I know he will love it! It is a perfect adilt ed tool!
Say hi to Rebecca for me!
Peace!
Wendy

The Heart of Things said...

Hi Wendy, how's the weather out west? I feel that pain, and I hope Trey enjoys the camp. Sounds great! I'm planning a mysterious journey for my nephew who is about that age. Into the wild we go, that's where much is challenged and much discovered!! Praying all's well, and let me know what Fr. David says about the Q & A ;)

Peace,
Bill

duskangel said...

My husband has 'Trivia Night' when he goes and watches the UFC fight with his buddies. He always wins. :-) I think I married him because of being impressed with this talent because on our first date we played Trivia Pursuit with some friends and he got all the questions right and then I was all starry eyed.

The Heart of Things said...

starry eyed... nice. May all of us husbands and wives remain so forevermore.... and stuff.

PS - TRIVIA QUESTION!!

What's the name of the oil smudged on the forehead in Confirmation? Go!

duskangel said...

Is it CHRISM ????

You know, I can barely remember my confirmation. My head was really in the clouds back then. I can't remember my patron saint. I know I'm named after Mary. I'm embarassed to call my old church and ask if they have that on record. Oh no, there goes the scruples again! ;-)

The Heart of Things said...

Chrism it is! Nicely done.

duskangel said...

YAY !!!!!!!!

I love the smell of Chrism. There should be a chrism scented glade plug in!

:-)

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...