Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Putting on the Brakes

God speaks in the silence of the heart, and we listen. And then we speak to God from the fullness of our heart, and God listens. And this listening and this speaking is what prayer is meant to be...

- Mother Teresa

I'm feeling the lack of quiet in my life these last few weeks. Just too busy, not putting on the brakes when I know I should, or maybe it's more a turning of the wheel into the Silence more often. So here's an old formula for building the Quiet Inside, and what to do when you get there: Remember when you're feeling Life is pushing you too fast, just slow down and rush..... that's R-U-S-H.

R-EST your senses. Close your eyes!
- Slow down!
- Be attentive to your breathing

U-NPACK your heart, lay it on the altar
- Read the Book of Your Life with God
- Read the Book His Life in the Gospels
- Or just relax and look at the pictures!

S-ILENCE
- Do nothing but breathe
- Listen for your heartbeat
- Listen for His heartbeat
- See if the rhythms match

H-OLY SPIRIT come! Remember that He prays in, with & for you!

No comments:

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...